Based on the count of Prius and similar vehicles we see arriving at Lapland Lake, we know our customer base cares about sustainable behavior. Human powered activities such as canoeing, kayaking, hiking, and biking in the summer and cross country skiing and snowshoeing in the winter fit with this theme.
Here is a quick update on a few small things we are doing in this area. We are focusing on win-win projects where “green” changes also enhance the quality of our guest experiences.
Energy conservation, heating – in the winter our Tupas (cottages) are mainly heated by woodstoves with supplemental electric baseboard heating. Improvements:
- New woodstove in Ruska Tupa has a two stage combustion design to provide improved efficiency and reduced particulate emissions. Plus it has a beautiful glass window, photo above. We will evaluate this unit over the coming 2015-2016 winter. If it works as we expect will be upgrading more stoves.
- High efficiency replacement windows for second floor of Lapin Tupa.
- Improved insulation as part of the remodel of Tunturi Tupa
- Individual room wall mounted thermostats for electric baseboard heat (6 of 10 Tupas complete, planning to complete remainder before winter). These make it easier for our guests to adjust heat to the desired level without overuse.
Energy conservation, lighting – our existing interior lighting in Tupas is a mix of incandescent and compact fluorescent. As bulbs need replacement, we are converting to LED lighting. This offers the best combination of energy efficiency and comfortable light color.
Local Sourcing – we look for local sourcing options in all our purchasing and have added to our gift shop:
- New “breakfast bin” with local maple syrup produced by the Edwards family in Northville, Adirondack roasted coffee, and pancake mix by New Hope Mills of Auburn, NY
- Bowls from Fawn Ridge Pottery of Chestertown, NY
- Logo hats and bike water bottles produced by The Print Shop in Utica, NY
Questions or suggestions? Email us at [email protected]
STAY UP TO DATE
Receive the latest news & specials
CONNECT WITH US
Share your visit #LaplandLake